Mutton – 1 kg
Basmati Rice – 1 Kg
Onion (sliced) – 6 Nos.
Tomato (chopped) – 6 Nos.
Cinnamon – 8 Nos.
Cardamom – 10 Nos.
Clove – 10 Nos.
Bay Leaf – 3 Nos.
Ginger Garlic Paste – 4 teaspoons
Green Chilli – 5 Nos.
Coriander Leaves – 1 bowl
Mint Leaves – 1 bowl
Curd – 1 Cup
Lemon Juice – 2 Lemons
Yellow Food Colouring – 2 teaspoons
Red Food Colouring – 2 teaspoons
Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
Chilli Powder – 2 teaspoons
Garam Masala Powder – ½ teaspoon
Salt as per taste
Oil – 200 ml
1) Heat Oil in a vessel.
2) Once the Oil is heated add 4 Cinnamon, 5 Cardamom, 5 Clove, Bay Leaves and sauté for 10 seconds.
3) Add Onion and fry for 2 minutes.
4) Add Green Chillies and sauté till Onion becomes golden brown.
5) Add Mutton and some Salt and mix well.
6) After the moisture in the Mutton evaporates add Ginger Garlic Paste and fry for 2 minutes.
7) Add Tomatoes, Salt, Turmeric Powder, Chilli Powder, Garam Masala Powder and mix well.
8) Close the lid and keep it in medium flame for 5 minutes or till the Tomato is well cooked.
9) Open the lid, add Coriander Leaves and Mint Leaves and mix well. add 1 cup of water and mix well. Close the lid,
put the whistle, keep it in a medium flame and allow for 4 whistles or till the Mutton is cooked.
10) Wash and soak the Basmati Rice for half an hour.
11) Open the lid, add Curd and mix well.
12) After 5 minutes add Lemon Juice and mix well.
13) After 5 minutes switch off the flame.
14) In another vessel boil Water and add 4 Cinnamon, 5 Clove, 5 Cardamom and close the lid.
15) After the Water boils, open the lid, add Rice and mix well, add Salt and mix well.
16) Once the Rice is cooked (if you take a single Rice and press it should break into 3 parts) filter it.
17) keep a big vessel in a low flame first layer put the Basmati Rice, add Mutton Gravy, add Basmati Rice, add Mutton
Gravy and add Rice on the top.
18) Put the Yellow Food Colouring, Red Food Colouring.
19) Wet a cotton cloth and place it on the top of the vessel, close the lid and leave it in a low flame for 10 minutes.
20) After 10 minutes switch off the flame.
21) After 5 minutes, with a thin spatula slowly flip the rice little by little.
22) Transfer it into a serving bowl.
23) Mutton Biryani (Chennai Style) is ready to serve.